- Ideal for spot weld removal or applications with limited access
- Grains of ceramic/aluminum oxide blend are precisely-shaped, uniformly-sized and vertically oriented
- Slices through hard metal for fast cut
- Cubitron™ II abrasives run cooler, reducing risk of metal discoloration/oxidation and heat related stress cracks
- A grinding aid further enhances cooler running on high-strength steel
- Exceptionally long-lasting belt performs consistently and reliably throughout its life
- Used with the 3M™ File Belt Sander, easily grinds out rivets and spot welds
Cubitron™ II Belt File
Make Light Work of Tough Tasks with Cubitron™ II
Ideal for tough detail work like cleaning, deburring, blending and finishing as well as working in small confined spaces. 3M™ Cubitron™ II File Belts 786F is available in three grades -- 36+, 60+ and 80+ – and widths including 3/8”, 1/2” and 3/4” as well as lengths of 13”, 18” and 20.5”.
The exceptionally fast cut and long life of 3M™ ceramic abrasive grain enable this slim belt to accomplish a remarkable degree of work. Its fast cutting action helps eliminate burning or other forms of thermal damage, as well.
About 3M™ Cubitron™ II and Precision-Shaped Grain
3M™ Cubitron™ II abrasive discs, cutoff wheels and file belts have raised the bar for high-performing abrasives. Cubitron™ abrasives feature our Precision-Shaped Grain (PSG) technology, which allows our engineers to control the geometry of the abrasive grain for a truly fast, efficient cut. Instead of simply crushing the abrasive into particles, 3M uses microreplication to uniformly size ceramic grains and precisely shape them into triangular structures – essentially, sharp peaks that slice, not plow, through paint and metal. These grains are electrostatically oriented on the abrasive surface for the most efficient cut and even wear. What’s more, PSG fractures during use to maintain sharp abrasive edges. The result: Cubitron™ II cuts 30% faster and lasts 2x longer than conventional ceramic abrasives.
An Alternative to Spot Weld Drilling
The 3M™ File Belt Sander and 3M™ Cubitron™ II File Belts 786F are a great addition to body shop tool rooms. They are a vastly superior alternative to spot weld drilling.
In addition a traditional spot weld drill goes back on the shelf. Our versatile file belt tool can also be used for other jobs —
- Clean and prep brake caliper pockets: Removing rust, brake dust and other contaminants with wire brushes, files and other tools can be tedious and time-consuming. The 3M file belt system speeds up tough cleaning jobs like this, while giving you more control to prevent gouging.
- Clean wheel rims: Removing corrosion prior to mounting the tire is critical, in order to avoid bead leaks. The 3M file belt system makes this job quick and easy, and it is also ideal for prepping surfaces prior to attaching stick-on wheel weights and prepping centering hubs.
- Prep steering knuckles: Steering knuckle housing and mating surfaces need to be free of corrosion and other contaminants in order to ensure proper installation of the wheel bearing hub assembly. The 3M file belt system lets you get into deep indentations and complex surfaces, making cleanup fast and easy.
3M Science. On the Cutting Edge of Performance
Cubitron™ II abrasives are only one example of how the need for process improvements, new solutions and alternatives drives the development of new abrasive technologies. At 3M, we are already working on the next breakthrough to make your life and your work better, safer and more profitable.